OPEN CALL TO JOIN CANADIAN WOMEN & SPORT’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION COMMITTEE
Canadian Women & Sport is seeking three external members to join our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee. Join us as we work to ensure the organization’s core values of equity and inclusivity are fully reflected in our governance, operations, and programming.
This committee will be made up of members from Canadian Women & Sport staff, board of directors, and external advisors. Members will be comprised of individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, Racialized, 2SLGBTQQIA+, and/or a person living with disabilities—including those with intersectional social locations—bringing lived experience and/or specialized expertise. We are looking for committee members who have a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion and are comfortable talking critically about equity issues in the context of Canadian Women & Sport’s mission.
Below, you’ll find details regarding the opportunity and application.
Our Commitment to DEI
Canadian Women & Sport is committed to being at the forefront of diversity, equity, and inclusion in sport. We strive to do this by leading by example both internally and externally.
We are working to transform the organization and its impact by embedding anti-racism and anti-oppression throughout the organization and its work. The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Committee exists to support these commitments and goals.
The mandate of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee is to advise the board of directors and the CEO as they work to ensure the organization’s core values of equity and inclusivity are fully reflected in governance, operations, and programming.
DEI committee members will play an active role in:
- Finalizing the organization’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategy for board approval.
- Helping to create an implementation plan to bring the DEI strategy to life within the organization.
- Supporting with governance-related actions in the implementation plan, including policy development and revisions.
- Review progress reports from the CEO
- Advising senior leadership on emergent issues or events related to the DEI strategy.
All committee members will be selected by the Board Chair, CEO, and Canadian Women & Sport staff DEI Lead jointly. In selecting members, consideration will be given to achieving diversity in social identities, along with previous community and/or professional involvement and ability to carry out the duties of a member.
- The committee will meet monthly for the first three months and every two months after that. All meetings will be virtual.
- The term of the membership is two years, renewable.
- We are working to implement a compensation structure that respects the time, energy and effort volunteer committee members contribute. External members will be compensated with an honorarium of $1,000 CAD per year. The committee will continue to review these terms annually.
Submitting Your Interest
We provide equal opportunity for all applicants and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by local law. Self-identification by candidates in the process is completely voluntary. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. If you are a qualified candidate and require reasonable accommodation to complete this application, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodations are available on request for applicants taking part in all aspects of the selection process and committee work.
Deadline to apply is Tuesday, October 10 2023.
ABOUT CANADIAN WOMEN & SPORT
Canadian Women & Sport a national non-profit dedicated to creating an equitable and inclusive Canadian sport and physical activity system that empowers girls and women—as active participants and leaders—within and through sport. With a focus on systemic change, we partner with sport organizations, governments, and leaders to challenge the status quo and build better sport through gender equity.